This gateway was opened in the 1200's to link the city with the harbour along the River Marecchia, and it was part of the defensive walls erected in the period of Frederick II (13th century), when the city was enlarged. The gate replaced an earlier one that lay slightly closer to the city.
In the 15th century it was restored by the ruler of Rimini, Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta (1417-1468), as shown by a number of Malatesta coins found during excavations in the early 1900's. Similar coins were used by Sigismondo to indicate the buildings he had erected or restored. A bas-relief by Agostino di Duccio, datable between 1440 and 1455 and conserved in the chapel with signs of the zodiac in the Malatesta Temple, shows us how the gate may have looked in the 1400's. It is no coincidence that the sculptor presented the gate in the foreground, as it was a work accomplished by Sigismondo himself.
In the 16th century the gateway was closed and replaced with a tower that in the 1700's is known to have been called the “Torrione dei Cavalieri”, or the "Knight's Tower".