Piazzale Fellini can be found at the end of viale Principe Amedeo, and it is surrounded by splendid villas: here, alongside the famous Grand hotel, one can admire the magnificent Fontana dei Quattro Cavalli marini.
This fountain was created by a sculptor from Rimini, Filogenio Fabbri, and was unveiled on 29th June 1928. But its existence since then has not all been plain sailing.
The mountain was removed in 1954, following the Second World War. On that occasion, the large bath was demolished and the sea-horses transferred to other locations: three of them were relocated to Parco Marecchia and one to the adjoining land at the aqueduct. In 1983, after a long struggle, Umberto Bartolani and the sculptor’s daughter, Fausta Fabbri, managed to have the fountain restored to its original location.
The main bath is round and symbolizes the sea, from which four seahorses rise up. These snort water from their nostrils and support another bath on their heads, containing a central water jet which sprays water high into the air. On the base of the fountain, an plaque added in 1987 commemorates Ugo Stentori, who artfully restored the mountain and the main bath.