This stately building left unfinished (1795) was rebuilt by architect Giuseppe Achilli.
A prestigious Roman house stood to the north of the decumanus maximus, the site of today’s Palazzo Diotallevi. The oldest evidence dates back to the period of the foundation of the colony of Ariminum. This includes table and kitchen ware. The house plan can be dated to the late 2nd – early 1st century B.C. Rustic and service rooms stand next to more refined ones, rebuilding in the 2nd century A.D. created elegant rooms giving onto a large T shaped courtyard and a large room with attractive decoration highlighting a mosaic with a harbour scene.
The high standard of living of the occupants can be seen from mosaics, plasterwork, statuary, glasswork and pottery, bone and bronze objects. One of the most original features is the floor with geometrical decoration in room N the winter triclinium, this being the only polychrome mosaic in the house. Other important features are: the fragmentary marble statue, probably a copy of the famous discus thrower by Polyclitus found near the ornamental basin at the centre of the garden-courtyard, the stone pedestalshowing scenes from daily life with a male figure, perhaps a teacher, sitting on a high chair with a volumen in his hand, opposite whom a young boy (his pupil?) can be seen with a lamp.