Heritage of the antiquity

Place of interest
1

Abbey of Santa Maria Annunziata Nuova Scolca

The complex was built in 1418 with a donation made by Carlo Malatesta, ruler of Rimini from 1385 to 1429, who had a country residence in the vicinity. The church and monastery were entrusted to the Augustinians of St Paul the First Martyr of Hungary, inexplicably recalled to Hungary in 1420. Carlo then assigned the complex to the Benedictines of Mount Oliveto Maggiore, who owned the abbey and its estates until 1797, when they were expelled during the Napoleonic suppressions.

Via Covignano, 257
San Fortunato di Rimini

2

Angherà Palace

The palace, formerly Masi's house from the mother's surname of Capt. Domenico Angherà (1862-1895), is decorated with an old stone gateway dating back to 1580: it has two caryatids on its sides and two lions rampant on the top. On the facade a memorial plaque pays honour to the Captain killed in battle.

Via Domenico Angherà 28
47921 Rimini RN

3

Arengo Palace

Construction work on this embattled Romanesque-Gothic building began in 1204 under the Podestà Mario dé Carbonesi, as a place where people could hold assemblies and meetings.

Via Gambalunga, 27
47921 RIMINI

4

Baldini Palace

Adjacent to Piazza Cavour in Corso d'Augusto rises a picturesque building built after the 1786 earthquake from Gaetano Stegani and of ownership of the noble Luigi Baldini.

Corso d'Augusto
47921 RIMINI

5

Bartolini Palace

Of particular importance the inside decorations, the frescos and the staircase that still preserve the nineteenth-century imprint result.

Corso d'Augusto, 115
47921 Rimini RN

6

Belli Palace

Today headquarters of the National Bank of the Job in Progress of august you/he/she is embellished by eighteenth-century handrails.

Corso d'Augusto, 110
47921 Rimini RN

7

Brancaleoni Palace

The building belonged formerly to Brancaleoni whose noble family ended with Raffaele in 1777. Then the palace passed to Bonzetti family who had bought it.

Corso D'Augusto
47921 Rimini

8

Brighenti Palace

Placed in the Pataro district in the Street M.Brighenti. Here lived Maurizio di Luigi Brighenti, engineer and patriot (1793 -1871)

Via M.Brighenti
Rimini

9

Brioli Palace

It is renowned as "Torre dell'Orologio", built in 1547 and then rebuilt in 1759 (the clock dates back to 1562).
It was rebuilt thanks to one of the most active promoters of Rimini as a seaside resort,Ruggero Baldini and his brother Alessandro.

Piazza Tre Martiri
Rimini

10

Buonadrata Palace

Formerly belonged to marchese Ercole Buonatrada, now it is Rimini Savings Bank property. Its façade, rebuilt after the 1786 earthquake, is attributable to architect Giuseppe Achilli.

Corso d'Augusto
Rimini

11

Canevone of Saint Mary Palace of Mercy

It is the oldest evidence of XII-XIII century two-floor housing. It is named after "Canava", meaning "shop where wine, bread and other foodstuffs retail" but even "wheat and salt storehouse".

between Via Tonini and Vicolo Santa Maria in corte
47921 Rimini RN

12

Castel Sismondo

The castle was commissioned in the 15th century by Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta and only the central nucleus still remains. The building was conceived as both a palace and a fortress as a seat worthy of the court and garrison, and as a symbol of power and supremacy over the city.

Piazza Malatesta
RIMINI

13

Chiesa di Santa Maria Annunziata alla Colonnella

Built in the 16th century for paying honour to the Virgin's miraculous image, it is a Renaissance - style church with  terra-cotta decorations.

Via Flaminia, 96
47923 RIMINI

14

Church of Madonna della Misericordia in Santa Chiara

The church preserves a miraculous image of our Lady of Mercy which moved her eyes in 1850, by Giuseppe Soleri Brancaleoni di Rimini (1796)

Vicolo Santa Chiara, 28

47921 RIMINI

15

Church of Sant'Agostino

This church is worth visiting for various reasons; thearchitecture of the large auditorium was transformed with precious stuccoes, ancones and frescoes in the 17th and 18th centuries, althoughthe general structure and its tall bell tower date from the 13th century.

Via Cairoli, 14
47921 RIMINI

16

Church of Santi Bartolomeo e Marino called Santa Rita

This church, named by local inhabitants after the painting of Santa Rita that is venerated here, was built in its present form by the Lateran Canons Regular, who came here in 1464

Via Castelfidardo, 1
47921 RIMINI

17

Cima Belmonti Palace

The palace owned by the homonymous noble family, was essentially rebuilt at the end of 700, but retains the beautiful seventeenth-century portal.

Coso d'Augusto 14
RIMINI

18

Diotallevi Palace

This stately building left unfinished (1795) was rebuilt by architect Giuseppe Achilli.

Via Tempio Malatestiano
Rimini

19

Felici Vitali Cappelli Palace

This seventeenth-century building with a nice ashlar portal, towards the end of the 700 belonged to the Count Daniele Felici Capelli 1st Finance Minister of the reign of Napoleon, then interior minister and senator.

Via Giovanni XXIII
Rimini

20

Ferrari Palace

Site in the district Montecacallo, this building is dated 1750 and of Carli properties. The ground floor is currently occupied by Luise library, an antiquarian gallery and other business activities.

Corso d'Augusto, 76
Rimini

21

Fountain of the Four Sea-horses

Piazzale Fellini can be found at the end of viale Principe Amedeo, and it is surrounded by splendid villas: here, alongside the famous Grand hotel, one can admire the magnificent Fontana dei Quattro Cavalli marini.

Parco Federico Fellini
47921 Rimini RN

22

Gambalunga public library

The Gambalunga library holds 286,525 books in total. It is renowned for its precious codices and many special bibliographic and documentary collections contained therein (including the interesting Photographic Archive).

Via Alessandro Gambalunga, 27
47921 Rimini RN

23

Garampi Palace

It was built by architect L. Carducci according to Serlio's plan in 1562 ; the building is named after Francesco Garampi who rebuilt it in 1687.Point of interest not accessible

Piazza Cavour, 27
47900 Rimini RN

24

Ghetti Palace

This neoclassical-style building was built by architect Giovanni Benedettini in 1857 as a match factory belonging to "Cav." Nicola Ghetti: Benedettini had formely worked together with Poletti on the construction of the town theatre.

Via XX Settembre 63
Rimini

25

Giannini Palace

Secular property next to the Church of the Suffragio

Corso Papa Giovanni XXIII
Rimini

26

Gioia / Pavoni Palace

It was Belmonte's (second half of 18th century)before passing to Gioia family (1786). The Palace was rebuilt after the last war in 1959. In 1859 Garibaldi addressed people from a balcony as mentioned on the left-hand side of the front.

Piazza Cavour Corner Via Gambalunga / Corso d'Augusto
47921 Rimini RN

27

Giovannini Palace

Located in the district of Citadella in Corso d'Augusto corner Via Soardi, this is a neoclassical building, even if the bottom has been changed. The facade is the work of John Benedictine (1864).

Corso d'Augusto corner Via Soardi
Rimini

28

Grand Hotel

The seafront heading towards the port can boast the Grand Hotel, an Art-Nouveau building (1908) designed by Paolito Somazzi.

Viale Giovanni Battista Ramusio, 1
47921 RIMINI

29

Lettimi Palace

One of the most prestigious buildings in the Rimini Renaissance, still represents an open wound in the city by bombing in World War II.

Via Tempio Malatestiano

47921 Rimini RN

30

Lighthouse and canal harbour

On the square Boscovich there is the old lighthouse that guards the port-channel, a time stretch of the mouth of the Marecchia River, diverted to the north in 1972.
The "shovel" of the port is a favorite destination of local people for a walk; it is from here that the sail fishermen with fishing boats of the "poveracce" (clams).

Via Destra del Porto
RIMINI

31

Malatesta Temple

The Malatesta Temple, Cathedral of the diocese since 1809, is a famous example of Renaissance architecture and maybe the most illustrious monument of Rimini. It was built by Leon Battista Alberti as a precious marble casket around the gothic church of St. Francis.

Via IV Novembre, 35 
RIMINI

32

Massani Palace

This building dates back to the end of 19th century when it was re-designed by Prof. Ghinelli from Santarcangelo.
Later on, damaged by bombings, it underwent careless reconstruction works.

Via Tempio Malatestiano
Rimini

33

Palace of Cassa di Risparmio

Placed in district Clodius in Piazza Ferrari, this neo-Renaissance palace was built for the bank in 1914 by the swiss architect Paolito Somazzi.

Piazza Luigi Ferrari
47921 Rimini RN

34

Palace of courthouse

Located in Clodio district, via Angherà, it is now the official seat of University. This historical building was originally conceived as the seat of Prefecture and designed by engineer Paolo Veronese in 1930.

Via Angherà, 22
47900 Rimini RN

35

Piazza Cavour

Piazza Cavour is the centre of daily life for people who live in Rimini. There are shops and cafè on one side and the other side is flanked by solemn palaces Podestà Palace, Arengo Palace and Garampi Palace.

Piazza Cavour
47921 RIMINI

36

Pigna fountain

This stands with its splendidly circular form beside the statue of Paul V on the square. It was reconstructed by Giovanni Carrara in 1543 as it appears today, which respects the original design

Piazza Cavour
47921 Rimini RN

37

Podestà Palace

Built around 1330 as the residence of the Lords of the town of Rimini, the building underwent considerable renovation work in the 16th century and its current features were dictated by restoration work carried out in the early 20th century.

Piazza Cavour, 27
47921 Rimini (RN)

38

Remains of the San Girolamo Oratory and the San Giovannino Oratory

Nothing is left of the structure of the San Girolamo Oratory, built in the first half of the 1600's. The two small chapels to the sides of the entrance have survived however, linking the San Giovannino Oratory to its twin structure.

Via Aponia
Rimini

39

Remains of the Santa Colomba Cathedral

Although there is no firm evidence, legend has it that this church built near the Roman walls in the heart of the mediaeval city was erected on the ruins of a pagan temple

Piazza Malatesta
Rimini
40

Ricciardelli Palace

It should date back to the first half of 15th century. It is a stately building undergone many restoration works over 19th century;after the Second World War it was rebuilt for the most part, even keeping something its original aspect.

Corso d'Augusto 237/239
RIMINI

41

Ripa / Salvoni Palace

The facade is the work of John Benedictine (1849). The Marcheselli in 1754 states that in this building there were about twenty paintings by Guercino then dispersed (but recently discovered! ).

Corso d'Augusto, 15
Rimini

42

Romagnoli Palace

One of the most interesting buildings in Rimini nineteenth, on the Garampi building side on  Corso d'Augusto street. Originally property of Montelabates, than of Claudio Procacci, then of Romagnoli family.

Corso d'Augusto
Rimini

43

Roman church of San Salvatore

The church probably dates from the twelfth century and was built reusing Roman material.

Via San Salvatore
RIMINI

44

San Bernardino Church

Built 1759, designed by Giovan Francesco Buonamici. This was his last construction. On the outside there are plaster statues by Carlo Sarti, inside there are remarkable paintings by Donato Creti.

Piazzetta San Bernardino, 26,
47921 RIMINI

45

San Giuliano’s Church

It was already a Bendectine Church, well-known in the 9th century. It has an altar which was built by Paolo Veronese (1588) and a polyptych by Bittino da Faenza (1409) in the third chapel on the left.

Via S. Giuliano, 16,
47921 Rimini (RN)

46

Sanctuary of Sant'Antonio di Padova, Paolotti

In 1518 a small temple was built to St Anthony in the ancient forum of Rimini (now Piazza Tre Martiri) the site where, according to tradition, the miracle of the mule took place.

Via Antonio Battarra, 10
47921 Rimini RN

47

Sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Grazie

This Franciscan complex was built between 1391 and 1396 using a donation made by the Caminate family, an ally of the Malatesta, on the site of a shrine erected to commemorate a miracle, but the first church was consecrated only in 1430. This early structure, rectangular and corresponding to the right-hand aisle of the present church, was embellished with a fine wooden ceiling of Venetian inspiration, a rarity in our region.

Viale delle Grazie, 10
47900 Rimini RN - Covignano

48

Sant'Innocenza and San Michelino in Foro

The Sant’Innocenza and San Michelino in Foro churches were built in the ancient forum of Rimini, which once extended further eastwards

Piazza Tre Martiri
Rimini

49

Santa Maria dei Servi Church now Santa Maria in Corte Parish Church

In the early 14th century the Malatesta family donated several properties in the city of Rimini to the Servants of the Virgin, who built the first church on this site. A few years later the friars decided to enlarge it, and one of the sides of the rebuilt church can still be seen along Corso d'Augusto

Corso d'Augusto, 20
47921 RIMINI

50

The Galliana Gate

This gateway was opened in the 1200's to link the city with the harbour along the River Marecchia

Via Bastioni Settetrionali
RIMINI

51

Tingoli Palace

It belonged to the rich and noble Tingoli family, it is thought to date back to the seventeenth century, but in 1672 it suffered severe earthquake damage since it was destroyed the facade, made rebuild later by Domenico Tingoli, with the door that opened on the square

Piazza Tre Martiri
Rimini

52

Tonini Palace

This building in the district Clodius with nineteenth-century building, overlooking the Piazzetta Ducale, between Via Tonini and Via Ducale. Here lived historians from Rimini Carlo and Luigi Tonini.

Piazzetta Ducale 47921
Rimini

53

Zavagli Palace

Located in the district Clodius in Piazzetta Zavagli which can be reached from the course of Augustus and then from Via Farini

Piazzetta Carlo Zavagli
47921 Rimini RN

54

Zavalloni Palace

The building is located in Corso d'Augusto 162 and was owned by the noble brothers Demofonte and Aurelio Valloni. The building after an earthquake in 1787 was rebuilt in the facade on design of architect Giuseppe Valadier.

Corso d'Augusto, 162
Rimini